Thursday, June 15, 2006

Assemblyman Aubertine’s letter to Cape Vincent’s Town Board written in June of 2006:


Assemblyman Aubertine’s letter to Cape Vincent’s Town Board written in June of 2006:
Re: Abstaining from Voting on the location of Wind Turbines in Cape Vincent
Ladies and gentlemen:
I regret that I was unable to attend the public hearing held on June 3rd at which time the above referenced subject was discussed and I appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts with you now.
Specifically, I would like to comment about the issue of whether a board member should abstain from voting on an issue. As elected representatives, we are responsible to make decisions for the benefit of our constituents and community. This project, which affects thousands of acres and dozens of property owners, has the potential to positively affect every resident. Whether through a reduced property tax rate or new economic opportunities, Messrs.’ Wood and Mason will certainly not be the sole beneficiaries should this project move forward.
While some may feel that these elected officials should abstain from voting on this matter – my belief is that they should not. If they are restrained from voting in this instance, then shouldn’t the community decide now what the guiding principals will be for future abstention in different matters and with what representative? I.e. voting on a tax rate that affects their personal property.
Healthy and positive discourse is mandatory in a democracy; however, governing by referendum is unwise. After careful reflection, I feel it is ethically proper that in this case all board members should vote on the issue at hand. In fact, I believe it is their responsibility to do so.

Sincerely,

Darrel J. Aubertine

No comments: